KKR release Mitchell Starc from IPL contract via SMS

source: India Today

Source: Cricbuzz and Edited by Meghana Kurup

Australian fast bowler Mitchell Starc was released by his team, Kolkata Knight riders, on Wednesday ahead of the twelfth season of IPL.

“I got a text message two days ago from the owners of Kolkata saying I’ve been released from my contract, so at the moment I’ll be home in April,” Starc told reporters in Sydney on Wednesday

Starc, a former member of Royal Challengers Bangalore, was snapped by the Knight Riders in the 2018 auction for a whopping INR 9.4 crore. He missed the last season with a leg injury and stands to miss out on the tournament for a fourth straight year.

“I didn’t go last year with my tibia injury. It was a great opportunity to freshen the body up and let it heal by itself. Barring the little niggle in the hammy, I feel pretty good with my body and my strength and the rest of it,” he said, on being asked about the status of his injuries.

Starc said that he is presently considering the benefits of a well-rested winter with the World Cup and the Ashes series to come in the UK next year. He added  that while playing for Australia was his priority, he has not ruled out the possibility of playing for another franchise in the forthcoming edition of IPL .

” At the moment for me, I just want to play as much Test cricket and one-day cricket for Australia as I can. IPL is a lovely bonus on the pay packet but if I miss that to play more Test matches then I’m taking that option,” he added.

Starc’s comments come in the backdrop of reports in Australian media about national-team players seeking longer central contracts to compensate for the financial loss incurred by skipping lucrative T20 assignments.