Khashoggi Murder: Turkey gives first official statement on Saudi Journalist’s death

By Yatamanyu Narain 

In its first official statement, Turkey has claimed that Khashoggi was killed due to immediate strangulation. The statement comes after weeks of media reports about the murder that took place at the Saudi Consulate on October 2. The Turkey has yet to provide evidence.

The Turkish statement said “The victim’s body was dismembered and destroyed following his death by suffocation.” It also added that Khashoggi’s remains could have been disposed of at the nearby consul general’s house, dissolved in acid or dumped in a well on the property.”

The fresh revelations from Istanbul came after Saudi chief prosecutor’s departure from the city after a two-day visit – underlining how little co-operation there has been so far in the joint Turkish-Saudi investigation of the murder.

Istanbul’s chief prosecutor, Irfan Fidan, said discussions this week with his Saudi counterpart, Saud al-Mojeb, had yielded “no concrete result”

Jamal Khashoggi was a Saudi national working for the US press. He was a well-known critic of Saudi Arabia’s rulers. His body has not been found, but Turkey, the US and Saudi Arabia have all agreed that he was killed at the consulate.