Indian Sprinter Palendar Chaudhary found dead inside Delhi’s Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium

Palender Chaudhary, 18-year-old  Indian sprinter allegedly committed suicide  on Tuesday evening as he was found hanging from a ceiling fan inside his hostel room at the athletics academy in Delhi’s Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, as reported by the ANI news agency, prompting the Sports Authority of India to order a “departmental inquiry”.

“We have ordered a departmental inquiry as the incident happened in our premises. The inquiry will be headed by Secretary SAI Swarn Singh Chabra and it should be completed within a week,” SAI Director General Neelam Kapur told PTI.

Apparently, he took the extreme step after an argument with his father over monetary issues, the top SAI official said.

As per the statement issued by the police, On 13.11.18 at 9 pm, a call was received from SJ Hospital regarding the admission of one Chaudhary by Sh. Harkamaljeet Singh (coach) in an unconscious state. The enquiry revealed that the boy was found hanging from the ceiling fan of his hostel room on 2nd floor. The same was confirmed as a friend visited him. She raised alarm and cut the scrap bandage by a knife.

The boy was soon taken to the medical centre of JNS by his coach and other guards. After the initial treatment, he was brought to SJ Hospital for treatment. Doctor declared him dead on Wednesday morning.

Palender had represented India in 100 and 200 mt. race on the international circuit and also represented the country in Youth Asia Athletic meet Bankok in 2017.

No suicide note was found during enquiry and the reason for the teenager’s death hasn’t yet been confirmed by the police officials.

Hailing from Aligarh in Uttar Pradesh, Palinder was brain dead by the time he was rushed to the Safdarjung Hospital, and could not be revived. Palinder, who was residing in room No.69 of JLN Stadium hostel had returned to his room at 5:30 PM after completing his training session,and committed suicide half an hour later.

“It is a very sad and tragic incident. We are extending all possible help to the family and have arranged for the transportation of his body to Aligarh. Our officers will also accompany his body to ensure smooth conduct of his last rites. He was alive when he was taken to Safdarjung but was brain dead and doctors couldn’t revive him. After initial treatment, he was taken to hospital half an hour later. He was in emergency,” another SAI official said.

He added, “His roommate and all the trainees and staff at JLN stadium were completely surprised by his act as the entire day he trained and showed no signs of depression”.